Re: [LUG] Url that doesn't work in linux...

Thorsten Ruffle-Brandt wrote:
John Daragon said the following:

http://what-.deviantart.com/

"what-" isn't a valid RFC1034 host name. My guess is that the DNS server used by the Linux box is being picky and the one used by the box with IE on it isn't. I've come across this before with hosnames using underscores...

And so it should be - RFC1034 clearly states:

"The labels must follow the rules for ARPANET host names.  They must
start with a letter, end with a letter or digit, and have as interior
characters only letters, digits, and hyphen.  There are also some
restrictions on the length.  Labels must be 63 characters or less."

I'm not sure it is the DNS server, though - my linux box tells me in
Firefox, Konqueror and Opera "unknown host", while a WinXP box on the
same network, using the same DNS server, comes up with a result on some
search page in IE and Opera. Puzzling.

Not *that* puzzling (OK - the Opera thing is a bit weird - different versions ?)

IE decides whether it's a URL or not, and, if it isn't, throws the string at a search engine.

jd
--

John Daragon                                          john@xxxxxxxxxx
argv[0] limited