Re: [LUG] Url that doesn't work in linux...

On Thursday 21 July 2005 10:20, Thorsten Ruffle-Brandt wrote:
> John Daragon said the following:
> >> http://what-.deviantart.com/
> >
> > "what-" isn't a valid RFC1034 host name. My guess is that the DNS server
> > used by the Linux box is being picky and the one used by the box with IE
> > on it isn't. I've come across this before with hosnames using
> > underscores...
>
> And so it should be - RFC1034 clearly states:
>
> "The labels must follow the rules for ARPANET host names.  They must
> start with a letter, end with a letter or digit, and have as interior
> characters only letters, digits, and hyphen.  There are also some
> restrictions on the length.  Labels must be 63 characters or less."
>
> I'm not sure it is the DNS server, though - my linux box tells me in
> Firefox, Konqueror and Opera "unknown host", while a WinXP box on the
> same network, using the same DNS server, comes up with a result on some
> search page in IE and Opera. Puzzling.

Yeah, this matches my own problem.  Same machine, dual boot.
In winxp it works, in linux it doesn't.  I mentioned the problem
to the artist, but they seem unwilling to change their subdomain
name, because they have generated a lot of traffic, and so don't
understand why they would need to correct it.

Anton