Re: [LUG] Forwarding from one web server to another...

On Thursday 14 July 2005 20:00, Grant Sewell wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Is it possible to have Apache forward a connection to a certain subdir to a
completely different server?  I currently have 1 webserver, but I am planning
on setting up a 2nd machine as a mail server with webmail access.  I can have
only ports 80, 8080 and 443 sent to the outside world... well, that's not
strictly speaking true.  I can set up *my* routers to accept incoming traffic
on any port I like, but Cornwall College will only allow out-going access on
those three ports.  I have port 80 forwarded to my webserver; port 8080
forwarding to another box for SSH, which leaves 443 which I was planning on
using for FTP access.  So, is it possible to have a link on my website that
redirects to another physical machine on my network, but still masks it as
thymox.dyndns.org:80?

While it is possible to get apache to rewrite any http address using simple
rules as shown by :-

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
            <Location />
            RewriteEngine on
            RewriteCond %{HTTPS} !^on$ [NC]
            RewriteRule . https://%{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI} [L]
            </Location>
        </IfModule>

which rewrites any incomming connection on http://myserver.com to
https://myserver.com you are also require a sort of port forwarding
masquarding afair.

What about virtual domains?

So that thymox.dyndns.org points to one website and thymox1.dyndns.org points
to another on the same server with same ip address using the same ports.

You can have as many variations and different websites as you like this way .

--
Robin Cornelius
robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx