Re: [LUG] USB Mouse problem

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:41:59 +0100 (BST)
Jeremy Pearson wrote:

> So, I connect my USB Logitech Scroll mouse then boot the computer into
> Slackware 10.1. But the mouse doesn't work. Whichever window manager I use
> - Gnome 2.6 or KDE 3.3 - there is no response from the mouse. It's an
> optical mouse, so it just lights up my desk in an angry shade of red.
>
> The pointer will happily move around when I touch the laptop trackpad, so
> it's surely a problem with Slackware not recognising the mouse correctly.
> How do I diagnose the problem? Is there a noddy mode I can turn on which
> will display error messages on the screen when I plug the mouse in? I just
> need to know where to start!
>
> Works fine when I dual-boot into Windows XP instead - it even hot plugs!
> Grr..
>
> Jeremy

Boot the system without the USB mouse plugged in.  Open a terminal, switch to the
user "root" and run:
 tail -f /var/log/messages
and then plug in the mouse.  With any luck it'll display something helpful!  My
guess is that your Slackware X config file is setup to look at /dev/psaux (or
/dev/mouse, which is symlinked to /dev/psaux) for it's mouse support.  If this is
the case, you need only change your X config file to point to /dev/input/mice and
with any luck all mice (PS/2 and USB) will be picked up and can be used.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.