[LUG] USB Mouse problem

So, I connect my USB Logitech Scroll mouse then boot the computer into
Slackware 10.1. But the mouse doesn't work. Whichever window manager I use
- Gnome 2.6 or KDE 3.3 - there is no response from the mouse. It's an
optical mouse, so it just lights up my desk in an angry shade of red.

The pointer will happily move around when I touch the laptop trackpad, so
it's surely a problem with Slackware not recognising the mouse correctly.
How do I diagnose the problem? Is there a noddy mode I can turn on which
will display error messages on the screen when I plug the mouse in? I just
need to know where to start!

Works fine when I dual-boot into Windows XP instead - it even hot plugs!
Grr..

Jeremy