Re: [LUG] Unusual activiy...

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:39:11 +0100
John Daragon wrote:

> I thought I'd just chip in here because a couple of preconceptions are
> getting in the way of finding out what's happening to your system :

Cheers.  The more the merrier!

> 1) nice. nice is a mechanism for decreasing task priority. This
> effectively decreases the probability that a task (if runnable) will be
> scheduled on return from interrupt. It's of marginal use in the control
> of tasks which perform much I/O. In this case, with low CPU usage on the
> machine, you can reduce the priority of this task as much as you like,
> and it'll still get run when it's not in iowait.

Yeah, got that.  I think this had been established, but thanks anyway.  (renice can
also raise the scheduling priority of a task if run as root.)

> 2) Paging. If you have no swap space you will not be performing any page
> out operations. If you perform no page outs, then you will be performing
> no page ins, either (with the exception of loading executable code). So
> the I/O you are observing is not paging.
>
> Of course, given that you can't page out, the amount of space you have
> for block buffers may be limited. What you *may* be observing is a
> (relative) failure of the block cache to perform efficiently because it
> has limited space to work with.  The block/paging cache scheme varies
> from kernel to kernel, and I haven't looked at the Linux one for a
> while, so I'm disinclined to offer a concrete mechanism.
>
> jd

Cheers John.  One quick observation though: whenever this problem occurs, kswapd is
*always* put quite near the top of the, erm, "top" output, so I would guess that
it's a currently running daemon rather than a dormant one.  Since I have no swap, is
it possible that kswapd is actually doing something anyway, which is causing this
problem?

(With any luck I will be re-installing the other harddrive soon so I can have a swap
partition again... yay!)

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.