Re: [LUG] Pinnacle DC10+ in Linux

On Sunday 29 May 2005 19:19, Julian Hall wrote:
Hi All,
I had a thought this morning I would like to run by you guys and gals
for feasibility:

Ndiswrapper works as we know by taking the existing Windows driver and
converting the information it provides from the Wifi hardware into a
format that Linux can use.  Simply put (and I know it is anything *but*
a simple proposition!) *in theory* is there anything *technically* to
stop a developer using the Windows XP driver for the new Pinnacle cards
in an "ndiswrapper-like" environment?

In a word yes.

NDIS is a well defined sub system of windows designed to make network device
drivers for window simpler to write (by exposing a limited API). When people
write a network device driver for windows they write a NDIS driver NOT a
windows driver there is a HUGE different in implementation. A NDIS windows
driver plugs in to the NDIS subsystem not directly in to the NT kernel.

As the NDIS subsystem is as a defined and limited API it is possible to
emulate NDIS calls which is what ndiswrapper does. To emulate other drivers
would be near impossible as you would have to emulate the whole of NT's
kernel. If other drivers have similar sub driver assemblies like NDIS does
then you could emulate a sub driver in the same way but a generic windows
driver, NO.

--
Robin Cornelius
robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx