Re: [LUG] Exim4 set up / tutorial website or book required

On Tuesday 24 May 2005 7:47 am, Henry Bremridge wrote:
Running debian sarge

Lots more information required - you haven't included any of the headers let
alone a summary of your existing config. Which options did you choose in exim
config? What have you set for /etc/email-addresses, hostname and other bits.

I am having some problems with sending email. Sometimes the email goes
through, sometimes it is rejected with the message "SMTP error from remote
mailer ..... after RCPT to ...... Relaying denied".

Probably actually trying to send from the wrong address - check the headers.
You have to send email From: an address that is acceptable to your SMTP
connection - generally this is an ISP / DNS issue, not exim. If you are
trying to send from the local machine, you cannot send from the internal box
name as it cannot be resolved by the ISP. You must use other config files
outside exim to change an internal address to a valid external address. You
may also need to determine whether an email needs to be changed - if you send
email from one internal box to another. This is a job
that /etc/email-addresses (installed by exim) tries to solve but it needs
other parts of the system to be working as well.

All very irritating, and obviously my exim4 set up is wrong

Not necessarily exim itself, there are lots of other config files involved in
mail.

Finally when I look at the headers of messages I have sent from my debian
box, the headers contain far too much information,

If you want to send email to the internet from the command line, then this
information is going to be present - the hostname of the local box, it's IP,
the various commands and their replies. Various email clients also add
various headers for their own purposes / user config.

Precisely what information are you concerned about? There's nothing in email
headers that is a risk to your system.

compared to other email
headers, and I would like to keep the header information to an absolute
minimum

?? That doesn't make sense - headers are not under your direct control. What
the headers do is tell you WHERE a message has been and this, in turn, tells
you where things are going wrong.

I have tried going through the man exim pages, and I have even tried to
read the www.exim.org documentation: despite the rather offputting phrase
that "this is very much a reference manual and not a tutorial.

The problem is not necessarily in exim - only the headers will tell you where
things are going wrong.

--

Neil Williams