Re: [LUG] TV Card recomendations

Robin Cornelius wrote:

On a side note the guy in PC world assured me "in his extensive computer experience that this card WOULD NOT work in linux", what is wrong with people who think they know a little bit, a simple "i don't know" would of been more helpful.

Heh.. I'm reminded of when I went into PC World and told them I wanted a hardware internal PCI modem. Salesman introduced their "Modem expert" (read: he saw one once out of the box). He proceeded to tell me that there is no such thing as a hardware PCI modem as "PCI means software and ISA is hardware"... Yeah.. OK.... When I replied pointing out that PCI and ISA are simply two types of bus connecting the card to the motherboard and that technically what was *on* the card had sod all to do with the connector, his mate who introduced him to me wandered off.

Now I know that there are *more* PCI software modems than hardware, but trying to say that ISA *means* hardware and PCI *means* software is cobblers. Typical PC World though.

Or the time I bought a scanner and the salesman tried to steer me to a Logitech sheetfed scanner instead of the Primax flatbed I wanted. Silly man offered to demostrate how easy it was. 15 minutes later with no sheets fed through straight he admitted defeat. Then tried to sell me editing software. The reply of "I have Paintshop Pro and Photoshop at home" made him wince and give up.

Cheers,

Julian