Re: [LUG] samba and ntfs

Grant Sewell wrote:

The way one of my Microsoft instructors explained it to me was that permission to a
given remote file is like going through 2 separate gates.  One gate is called SMB
and the other gate is called FS.  If a user has permission to go through both gates
then they will be able to perform actions on the remote file.  Neither gate,
however, determines the other gate's permissions.

Now, I hope that makes sense written down because I've just re-read it and it looks
like random rantings to me :D

Grant.

I think I know what he meant.... to me it is more like a roadway and a series of gates. SMB is the roadway between the computers running whatever OS. Each computer interrogates the "road user" for a uid and pwd and lets them in to alter files if they answer correctly according to a list the computer has.

Probably wrong but it makes sense to me :)

Kind regards,

Julian