Re: [LUG] Gentoo easy installer

On 5/2/05, Terence McCarthy <tjmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 02 May 2005 00:39:25 +0100
Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Rob,

You won't need much patience to install my recent toy- I've just climbed aboard
the Ubuntu bandwaggon. Like you I've tried periodically to get a Debian based
system to the point where I would choose to leave my highly individual SuSE
installation.

I'm very impressed so far, especially the easy installation and the latest xfce4.

Having played around with it and it's brother (Kubuntu- U is Gnome front end, K is
KDE) I suggest downloading the iso for Ubuntu, and after installing do "apt-get
install kubuntu-desktop" if you want to switch to KDE.

(Installing Kubuntu on my laptop yesterday I had problems with the Grub
installation, and had to install that manually after using a SuSE bootdisk to get
into the OS- this did't happen installing Ubuntu). In any case this way around you
get the default installation of both Gnome and KDE (each of which have something
to offer IMHO), whereas there is no "install gnome-desktop) to my knowledge.

Use the "expert" option at the install boot prompt and you're away. The ordinary
option hides root and you have to "sudo" into everything.

Up and running well, even though I will have to tweak the default chosen progs to
suit my needs/likes better.

As I said I am very impressed (see http://www.ubuntulinux.org/), and hope you may
be. If you have problems with the download I'll burn you a copy of the iso (it'll
cost you a pint!).

I concur wholeheartedly. Although I was going to install VidaLinux, I
have now decided that Ubuntu is the best distro for my needs -
excellent package management, great documentation, etc etc. My friend
has tried it and says it performs very well and has excellent
stability (although the 'three friends' photo looks a bit dodgy in
some people's opinion.)

Incidentally, in the unlikely event that anyone cares, Ubuntulinux.org
are still using Plone for their CMS - they have just changed its look.

--
~ Ben Goodger

~ Please remember to FLOSS daily.
~ www.getfirefox.com