Re: [LUG] kgdb

On Sunday 24 April 2005 11:10 am, Robin Cornelius wrote:
Has anyone here managed to use kgdb, i seem to be too stupid to get it to
work?

I realise you probably know this, but it's all I can think of!
:-)

It looks like you're lacking the debug symbols, either that or kgdb can't find
the debug symbols for the libraries.

Is there any way you can use gdb without the KDE front end?

I have (kgdb) patched and compiled and installed kernel-2.6.7 on test
machine, and after some messing around with what drivers are built into the
kernel i have got it to boot without a initrd. The kernel halts waiting for
remote connection, which i can supply from my other system and get the
system to boot. BUT i can't see any reference back to source code and
linenumbers, all backtraces are anomous addresses and even the kernel halt
at boot which should show "breakpoint () at gdbstub.c:1153"  just shows
"0xc012dd90 in ?? ()". I have the same kernel source with bzImage and
system.map on the development machine (not running as i didn't think that
was necessary). But i am stuck!

When I run gdb on GnuCash, I get source code annotations for the libraries
I've built from CVS but never for libraries that are installed as packages -
due to the strip routine in packaging.

Usually gdb refuses to run the program if it cannot find the right executable
and this is how it locates the debugging symbols.

Is there any chance that kgdb is actually calling an installed program rather
than the compiled program?

I get the same output as you if I call gdb pilot-qof instead of
gdb ./pilot-qof

--

Neil Williams