[LUG] Mandrake 10.1 stilly playing silly so-n-sos

Hi All,

I mailed a while ago about MDK10.1 being increasing unreliable to boot up. It went away so I forgot about fixing it. However the last week or so *every single day* when I boot the PC I've had to start MDK at least twice, normally three or four times. The boot sequence goes something like this:

PC boots up
LILO - select MDK 10.1
sometimes it fails to detect eth0 which means a reboot anyway
then if it does get into X without error, sometimes it hangs waiting for the log in dialog box, but most times it will hang after I've entered my username and password and clicked OK.

If that happens as is most often I have to reboot and go through all the rigmarole of "*whatever* was not cleanly unmounted, do you wish to check?" Then if I don't say Yes it does it anyway. I know it's best to say Yes and I usually do :) The times I don't are usually down to being distracted at the relevant point.

If it doesn't boot cleanly after that it's back to square one.

Any ideas gratefully received. A friend of mine gave me a copy of the freebie version of Xandros which he loves. Would it be worth ditching Mandrake and trying that out? /home is on a separate partition so I would imagine it would survive as long as I remember to tell the installer not to format it.

Kind regards,

Julian

PS Sorry Alex I did it again!