Re: [LUG] Introduction and opinion sought...

On Sunday 20 March 2005 11:37 pm, Martin White wrote:
i'm also a developer by trade

What languages? What kind of projects?
Have you now got a steady income?
(Do you fancy helping me with free software?)
:-)
(URL's in my sig)

Onto the opinion bit. It's becoming apparent that the shuttle pc that i
have (SN41G2) is starting to get a bit long in the tooth. I've twice now
had to vacuum the thing out to unclog it (from dust) and redo the thermal
paste on the CPU to keep the temperatures at bay. And compiling up gentoo
made it painfully obvious that the Athlon XP processor doesn't cut it quite
as well as i'd like it to (even if it's quite powerful by some peoples
standards!)

Don't ditch that box - stick a distribution like Debian on it that doesn't
need so much effort to prepare and even less to maintain and use it on a home
network for CVS, local IMAP, test machine, LDAP, DNS, all sorts of server
tasks.

I'm therefore looking for something new. Would like AMD64, probably SATA.
Must be NEAR SILENT if at all possible.

My problem with all such devices is that the compromises required to remove
the fans mean a limited operational life, a limited upgrade path and
therefore rapid obsolescence. As above, these machines can be easily recycled
to run as servers but that's not why you pay the premium for near silent
operation!

--

Neil Williams