Re: [LUG] Introduction and opinion sought...

What languages? What kind of projects?
Have you now got a steady income?
(Do you fancy helping me with free software?)

I'll start a new thread for this since i was going to post related to this but
you beat me to it :)

Don't ditch that box - stick a distribution like Debian on it that doesn't
need so much effort to prepare and even less to maintain and use it on a
home network for CVS, local IMAP, test machine, LDAP, DNS, all sorts of
server tasks.

Only thing is, i'm actually dissapearing under boxes at the moment! Last week
i bought tow second hand 19" 1U rackmount servers (PIII 800Mhz, 512MB & 1GB
ram respectively) and was going to have a real shuffle around of what's going
on here so the chances are that i won't need the shuttle any more. Now that
said, those servers are proving to be VERY noisy (5 fans inside!) so maybe
they'll be up for grabs and i'll go for the shuttle setup instead? We'll see.

My problem with all such devices is that the compromises required to remove
the fans mean a limited operational life, a limited upgrade path and
therefore rapid obsolescence. As above, these machines can be easily
recycled to run as servers but that's not why you pay the premium for near
silent operation!

I'm not so sure that these things really bother me all that much. Although the
whole industry is at a bit of a stalemate with regards to progress right now
(IMHO anyway) in general, i've never gone to upgrade a machine without
haveing to junk the mobo and ram AT LEAST even when i have used stock parts
so i kind of stopped caring about proprietry mobos a long time ago.
Fortunately ideas like MCA cards (god bless them!) don't come up often
anymore.

Anyway, i'm waffling really when i should be working.

How about IDE versus SATA? Any major pro's for SATA or should i not really be
all that fussed?

Sorry if this is a bit OT, i guess it's not specifically Linux talk, but the
machine will have linux on it and all my friends come to me for PC advice so
i need to go somewhere :)

Cheers,
Martin.