Re: [LUG] The old I SP problem

Julian Hall wrote:

In defence of support staff

Hi All,

Sorry if that last one came across as a bit of a rant, it wasn't intended to :)

I have just had one final thought though: Premium Rate support lines are governed by ICSTIS ( www.icstis.org ). If you call a Premium Rate support line they are legally barred from supporting anything they have not supplied to you. In the case of my last employer we had the rules bent for us to say we were only allowed to support items we had been *trained on*. An important distinction - otherwise we couldn't have supported anything other than the software we supplied on CD, and if the customer hadn't used it, nothing.

So the poor soul on the other end of the phone saying "I'm sorry I can't support you on that" may well be telling the legal truth. They don't want to lose their jobs and the company would quite like to stay in business :) IIRC the fines for breaching ICSTIS regulations were quite punitive, and they could even order the support line closed until the issue was resolved. Needless to say the ISP in question could lose a LOT of money in business above the fines, and if they were an outsourced tech support company could even lose the contract. Not to mention if Ofcom got involved.

Anyway, enough from me.. I'm off to bed :)

Cheers,

Julian