Re: [LUG] Destroyed laptop, can anyone help?

Neil Williams wrote:

On Monday 28 February 2005 1:09 pm, Robin Cornelius wrote:

Hi Guys

I've just destroyed the work laptop attempting to shrink the NTFS
partiton that was taking up the whole disk. So now windows dosn't boot
(no bad thing in general :-) but it needs fixing ). I used qtpartd on
knoppix
ntfs so i went for it. After rebooting i just get a "Disk read error occured" from bios and the HD will not boot.

When booting from CD with CD as the first boot option, why would the BIOS be looking for a disk read? Won't Knoppix start if you set the BIOS to only look to the CD drive for the boot image?

Sorry, i can boot to CD still so koppix etc boots but if I specifcy hard disk as boot device it flakes

settings so will erase all data on the disk :-(. I have tried booting
with a XP recovery console and have done a chkdsk, a fixboot and a
fixmbr (which complains about a non standard mbr everytime) but no
improvment.

Any ideas how to repair this or do you think I should proced with the
linux install and see if grub will "sort it all out" as a new master
boot loader?

Robin

I'd be tempted to put a Debian installer CD in the drive and see if LILO or Grub can fix it.

Done this now and it gets worse!

Installed debian testing net install, booted from cd fine and ran the installer. Upon reboot grub starts up :-) with the choice for windows or linux :-), selecting windows results in the same "disk read error", starting linux is *really* intresting it starts booting the kernel then virtual page faults right after detecting hda , a whole oops apears but with no obvious info to excatly what caused it other that the last *normal* operation was :-

hda: IC25N040ATMR04-0 ATA DISK drive
Unable to handle kenel paging request at virtual address cc87109f

The process that failed was modprobe so i don't know what it was loading!

This is looking like a system hardware disaster, I can still read the ntfs partition fine from knoppix so I might have to do a format and rebuild which i really don't want to unless anybody has a better suggestion!

Robin