Re: [LUG] Destroyed laptop, can anyone help?

On Monday 28 February 2005 1:09 pm, Robin Cornelius wrote:
Hi Guys

I've just destroyed the work laptop attempting to shrink the NTFS
partiton that was taking up the whole disk. So now windows dosn't boot
(no bad thing in general :-) but it needs fixing  ). I used qtpartd on
knoppix
ntfs so i went for it. After rebooting i just get a "Disk read error
occured" from bios and the HD will not boot.

When booting from CD with CD as the first boot option, why would the BIOS be
looking for a disk read? Won't Knoppix start if you set the BIOS to only look
to the CD drive for the boot image?

settings so will erase all data on the disk :-(. I have tried booting
with a XP recovery console and have done a chkdsk, a fixboot and a
fixmbr (which complains about a non standard mbr everytime) but no
improvment.

Any ideas how to repair this or do you think I should proced with the
linux install and see if grub will "sort it all out" as a new master
boot loader?

Robin

I'd be tempted to put a Debian installer CD in the drive and see if LILO or
Grub can fix it.

--

Neil Williams