Re: [LUG] Destroyed laptop, can anyone help?

Robin Cornelius wrote:

Hi Guys

I've just destroyed the work laptop attempting to shrink the NTFS partiton that was taking up the whole disk. So now windows dosn't boot (no bad thing in general :-) but it needs fixing ). I used qtpartd on knoppix to shrink the partiton by 5 gigs and gtpartd claims it supports ntfs so i went for it. After rebooting i just get a "Disk read error occured" from bios and the HD will not boot. The recover disks that come with the laptop are a joke, they are just a ghost image of factory settings so will erase all data on the disk :-(. I have tried booting with a XP recovery console and have done a chkdsk, a fixboot and a fixmbr (which complains about a non standard mbr everytime) but no improvment.

Any ideas how to repair this or do you think I should proced with the linux install and see if grub will "sort it all out" as a new master boot loader?

Robin

If you have a Knoppix disk then look for a file on it called "Computer First Aid
Using Knoppix.html (it might also be on their website). It's expressly about
rescuing data from a crashed Windows installation. It certainly helped me
sort out a friends crashed Windows machine as it's years since I last used
Windows . It earned me lots of kudos and allowed me to leave him a copy
of Knoppix to play with.

Keith