Re: [LUG] NFS with DHCP

Neil Williams wrote:

[lots of sensible stuff including]

Why not use Samba? That doesn't rely on NFS.

Good point. A blind spot (again). As both run Linux at least part of the time I figured a Linux based networking solution would work best. However, you're right that Samba would be easier, in fact it *was* and now both boxes talk to each other happily. I'll introduce Dad's laptop to the mix when I'm happy with these two.

Static is not a luxury on an internal network,

Bad wording on my part. I only meant 'luxury' in that it was an available option, which I don't think it is with the wireless. Having said that I just stumbled across a website which might give a solution. The suggestion is to leave the router on DHCP, but move the range up enough to accomodate any machines that need static IPs. For example;

192.168.0.5 - 51.

If two machines need static IPs change the bottom end of the range to 192.168.0.4 and give them 03 and 04. That leaves the DHCP active to assign IPs to the wireless machines.

Having said that, I'm of the "If it ain't broken don't fix it" school of techs :) Seeing as it works in Samba I'm not going to fiddle with it until/unless I get a reason to.

Your wireless router may need DHCP to be enabled for wireless, but are you sure that NO static IP can be over wireless? That's limiting.

I'm pretty sure that's what the manual says.

That will fail only because you can't resolve the hostname. Hostnames don't go over the network, that's the IP. You must always be able to resolve a hostname to an IP address.

I gathered that from the last forays into this area :)

Without dynamic DNS and careful scripting, I'd reconsider your options.

Why haven't you done this in Samba?

I have now :) Thanks for the advice :)

Kind regards,

Julian