[LUG] NFS with DHCP

Hi All,

I remember coming to grief with this previously. Basically I want to set up NFS shares between the desktop and laptop. The router however states in the documentation it requires DHCP for the wireless to work correctly. So far the machine hostnames are natalie (desktop) and rachel (laptop). Both running Mandrake 10.1 + Windows (XP or 2K).

Pinging rachel from the desktop gives 'unknown host' and this is where I hit a brickwall last time if memory serves. However last time with a wired network and only two machines active on it I had the luxury of setting up static IPs on both machines. Now my Dad has my old laptop running Win2K on wireless, so a) I can't use static IPs and b) now I have no control over what order the PCs get switched on.

Therefore I can't for example put an entry in /etc/fstab of:

rachel:/home/julian /mnt/rachel nfs

nor can I use:

192.168.0.2:/julian /mnt/rachel nfs

In the first instance it can't resolve who/where rachel is and in the second instance rachel may not always have the same IP address. Needless to say I can't enter anything into the hosts file to tell the system rachel (or my Dad's machine penyfan for that matter) are on specific IPs when they may not be in a day's time.

Is using NFS dead in the water as I suspect?

Kind regards,

Julian