Re: [LUG] Mandrake 10.1 hangs on boot

Neil Williams wrote:

This can happen with NFS mounts IF you don't unmount the device before shutting down the other machine.

Doh.. something to remember seeing as the NFS mounts are laptop based. Thanks for the tip!

You may be able to telnet / ssh into the Mandrake box

Problem with that is it dual boots WinXP and MDK 10.1, and at the moment the laptop is not playing ball with the wireless network.. that's a hardware fault.

or you can use the boot loader options to load Linux single.

Apologies for the extremely long URL,
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-guide/s1-rescuemode-booting-single.html

No apology necessary I'm grateful for the help! LILO didn't pause though (CTRL-X wasn't having any of it!)

Alternatively if you can't get LILO to pause and give you the boot prompt, load Knoppix and then temporarily remove the link in /etc/rc5.d/ to the nfs script to stop it loading next boot, don't forget to put it back with cd /etc/rc5.d/ ln -s ../init.d/nfswhatever Sxx etc.

Thanks for that idea. I did find a Knoppix 3.4 live CD and I can see the fstab. I then tried to remove the NFS lines from the fstab but it refused on permissions. I'll see if I can edit the /etc/rc5.d and let you know what happens.

Kind regrds,

Julian

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.6 - Release Date: 07/02/2005