Re: [LUG] Epson Stylus Photo R200

Julian Hall wrote:

Neil, Robin, thanks guys the FAT32 was most of the problem. However, I just tried to compile the latest CUPS 5.0.0 Beta2, the make worked, make install didn't.

The errors I got are as below:

Just answered it for myself. Yes I was supposed to be logged in as root.

This is something that *always* confuses ex-Windows users such as me. Why would it allow me to run the 'configure' *and* the 'make' as the normal user if I had to run the 'make install' as root?

As far as I can see, 'configure', 'make' and 'make install' are all part of the SAME installation process. That's like a Windows installer allowing the user to make the directories and choose what parts of the program to install and then bombing out saying the rest has to be done logged in as Administrator. It makes more logical (and intuitive) sense to me for the './configure' command to produce an error right at the beginning stating "packages must be installed as root user" to begin with, not allow me to get half-way through and then throw up what are (to a non-Linux expert) a list of impenetrable errors.

This wastes my time, AND the time of you all who have to answer daft questions from the likes of me, when if it was designed with the end-user in mind to start with, we'd all have an easier life.

I'm sure there is a reason the developers designed the system to work this way, but in my humble opinion, for novice users it is counter intuitive and likely to make those less stubborn than I am (g) run back to Windows.

Anyway, for the time being all the packages I've been having grief with lately (KOPete, Gimp-Print, and CUPS) have all passed the 'make install' stage.

Now to see if they work.

Thanks to all who have given their advice in all the above issues :)

Kind regards,

Julian