Re: [LUG] Epson Stylus Photo R200

Anyway;

tar xvjf gimp-print-5.0.0-beta2.tar.bz2  is the command I used.

As root I get a raft of errors saying it cannot change ownership and
then it stops saying "halted delayed due to too many errors".

As the same user that downloaded the file I get "cannot utime: Operation
not permitted", which means precisely zero to me.  I've had a Google for
this error and people seem to be saying it's a bug in the installer.  I
can't see how this can be right or surely the developers would have
corrected it by now.

It's not something stupid, like the fact that I am unpacking it to the
location I downloaded it to is it? (which is a FAT32 partition so that I
can dl in Windows or Linux and still see all the files... also if Linux
goes belly up I won't have lost all my downloaded files).

The FAT32 partition will be causing many of these problems, FAT32 has no
concept of ownership of files hence "cannot change ownership" and it dosn't
support many of the (expected) linux file permissions and attributes hence
the utime error as well.

Download the tar.bz2 to your FAT32 partition if you like but copy the tar.bz2
to your linux partition and unpack and build there and you should not have
the above problems

--

Robin Cornelius
robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx