Re: [LUG] Open Source CDs

Paul Sutton wrote:
Hi

There is the GNUWinII cd and The open cd, which both contain various packages, I have the open cd here, but I lent a copy of GNUWinII to a friend,

Both are very good, even though they are desiged as a showcase for windows OSS software,

I know that The Opencd has games and TUXPaint, on the cd, which is great for young children. It also has celestria which is a space / astronomy package, BlenderCD

Bear in mind that open office.org 1.1.4 + docs will take up quite a bit of space on a cdrom, esp if you want Mac, Linux and Windows versions.

http://theopencd.sunsite.dk/

http://www.gnuwin.org/index.html - this seems to be in german even if I click on the english link

Anyway If your comming on thursday then I will have a copy of the cd, if anyone has GNUWinII could they bring it along please.

I think if you can produce a cdrom with stuff on thats up to date, I know the opencd also has things like putty, so yeah there are projects out there, but I agree that any cd should be aimed at all users not just windows users.

Hope this helps

Paul

I'm hoping to come along to the meeting this week. I'd been thinking about doing something along these lines after my child minder asked if I could get hold of Powerpoint for a friend of hers. I figured rather than suggesting they fork out £100 or so for Office Student & Teacher edition I would offer them a copy of OpenOffice.org.

My customers/friends/relatives etc so far all seem to be running Windows. I have an iMac and was curious to try OOo on MacOS X, unfortunately it didn't seem as well polished as I would have liked, but it runs okay under Ubuntu Linux on the Mac, and I now use it as my main word processor on Suse 9.2 (although I was impressed with Abiword too).

I figured it would be a good idea to supply a CD like this at little or no cost (I don't mind doing copies of this CD when its legal and only 15p a disc).

Rob