Re: [LUG] Web browser query...

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 13:52:44 +0000
William Fidell wrote:

Something that I like to do when compiling from source is let the
program install to where is wants to, but make sure that it adds the
version to the end of the dir name.  Then I create a symbolic link to a
path with not version number on the end.  E.g /usr/bin/firefox-1.0
linked to /usr/bin/firefox.

At upgrade time I can keep me old installation, and just change the link
to point at the newer version.  I am paranoid about new versions not
working properly, so I like to be easily able to switch back.

To be fair though,  this isn't as useful with things like firefox as it
is with apache, php and perl etc etc. Or CVS snapshops, I suppose.

Wills

You'd probably be interested in GoboLinux (http://www.gobolinux.org/) then.  It
maintains the standard FSH but also uses it's own unique FSH, with symlinks abound
to make it work properly.  Interesting history of the project too.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.