Re: [LUG] Web browser query...

Anton Channing wrote:
Can anyone explain why:

Mozilla is installed in the /usr/lib directory

Firefox is installed in the /etc directory

and

Konqueror is installed in the /usr/bin directory?

I mean, they are all web browsers, so why do they
get installed to different directories?

Anton

Something that I like to do when compiling from source is let the program install to where is wants to, but make sure that it adds the
version to the end of the dir name. Then I create a symbolic link to a path with not version number on the end. E.g /usr/bin/firefox-1.0 linked to /usr/bin/firefox.

At upgrade time I can keep me old installation, and just change the link to point at the newer version. I am paranoid about new versions not working properly, so I like to be easily able to switch back.

To be fair though, this isn't as useful with things like firefox as it is with apache, php and perl etc etc. Or CVS snapshops, I suppose.

Wills