Re: pcflank.com was [LUG] Transplanting hard drives

At the moment I'm behind the ISP's firewall plus a personal firewall on my machine. The ISP's one stealths all ports on it's own but I keep the personal firewall on as assurance against both incoming and outgoing traffic.

I am on Blueyonder and as such the modem doesn't have a firewall. To protect my home network (2 XP boxes, 1 linux server and 1 linux laptop) I use IPCOP. Basically, I went down to the computer graveyard shop in Plymouth (I forget the name) and got a £50 machine to install it on and a couple of network cards. I already had a hub to contect the internal network.

Installation hit a few snags because I got mixed up which interface was green and which was red. But it runs almost without fault, and since I have installed the latest version (1.4.0) without any faults.

I was a bit confused initialy setting it up, having only been used to windows application permission type firewalls but soon it makes a lot of sense.

It is also kind of scary viewing all the logs and seeing how many hits you get, but with snort on as well kind of interesting.

If anyone has used the new blue interface with the latest version I would be grateful to hear from them.

Wills

This may have some bearing on the difference in
results from pcflank's quick and advanced tests
although I still suspect that this is just a sales
ploy for the unwary.

Keith

Grant Sewell wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:39:21 +0000