Re: [LUG] Activation codes and user freedom

On Monday 24 January 2005 12:45 pm, Kelly Jones wrote:
Regarding the max hardware updates, i have come across this a few times
with customers machines.  Ring MS and they give you a new activation
code with very little fuss.

Why should that even be necessary? Why should I have to contact a SOFTWARE
provider for permission to install some more hardware??? It's bonkers and
they know it, which is why it's made to seem so innocent and 'very little
fuss' - it doesn't change the fact that it's wrong. That was the sentiment
behind the comment, not that MS won't allow you to proceed but that they have
instituted a (broken) method to try and force users to get permission! It
won't be long before MS will CHARGE for that new activation code as a Refresh
Fee or Admin Fee. In reality it's another noose for your own neck and yet
another means for Windows to remove user freedom.

Isn't that why we're all here?

Microsoft believe that every user is fundamentally untrustworthy and will
immediately become a software pirate without barriers and restrictions on
your personal freedoms.

Don't dress up their poison with pleasantries!

(BTW This isn't specifically anti-MS, I would oppose anyone else who puts such
restrictions on users, it's the principle that's wrong. I don't indulge in MS
bashing, I'll bash anyone else just the same.)
:-)

--

Neil Williams