Re: [LUG] Transplanting hard drives

Neil Williams wrote:

On Monday 24 January 2005 9:28 am, aaron Moore wrote:

After removing my Fedora hard drive and fixing it to a newer computer I am
unable to connect to the network.

If you put a diesel engine in a car with petrol in the tank, will it work?

It doesn't idle very well! But runs at higher revs. My dad knows all about it, after filling our car with petrol instead of diesel.

The newer computer will have a different network card and sundry other differences. Why are you doing it this way rather than installing on the new hardware?

This is a newer machine so it's going to have a decent CD drive (or DVD) and on-board network support? It's easier to install fresh than to use an install that was configured for older hardware!

I did a similar thing. Took a harddrive from an Athlon 800 and attached it to an Eden ESP 5000 (one of those mini ITX things) and in the main it worked. Although as you point out some reconfiguration was required. It was Mandrake 8.2 on the hd.

Regards
Andrew