Re: [LUG] fstab and mounting ntfs partitions from debian...

On Sunday 23 January 2005 14:34, Neil Williams wrote:
On Sunday 23 January 2005 2:09 pm, Anton Channing wrote:
Any suggestions?  I don't actually understand the umask=022

umask sets the default permissions by subtracting the mask from the
maximum. 777 is maximum for directories: it gives directory / executable
rights, plus read and write:

1 - execute / change into this directory - x
2 - write - w
4 - read only -r

You add the numbers together to get the permission value.

So:
-rw-r--r-- is a common default for user files. It's 644, it allows the user
to read and write, others only to read.

drwxr-xr-x is common for directories. The d indicates directory, the user
can read, list/change into and write (delete / create new files) in the
directory. Others can only read and cd. This is 755.

-rwx-r-xr-x is a possible value for user scripts when you don't want to
have to specify bash or perl in front, just ./scriptname

So for directories: 777 - 022 gives 755
The maximum for files is taken from 666 (executable files not being a
default), so 022 gives 644.

umask 022 therefore sets files to 644 and directories to 755 - the usual
default for user space.

bit, just copied it from a website where someone said they
achieved what I'm attempting by replacing 'noauto' with
'umask=022'

However, this doesn't answer the original point - you saw this on a website
that said to replace noauto with umask? The two are completely different.
noauto means that it won't be mounted by default at system start up. You
will have to mount it yourself later. Usually, that's best done by adding
user to the noauto command and is used for CDROM's, USB sticks and other
removable media that might not be there at boot. You can also use it if
that partition is optional - no system files are stored there, nothing that
is needed to start the system or login the user.

Okay, thanks, I understand now.  I don't think they
actually said replace.  But in the discussion I was
following, someone started off with noauto,ro,user
but that didn't work, and someone suggested they
change it to ro,users,umask=022 which is what they
had in theirs.  This then solved things for the first
person, so I decided to give it a go, to see if it worked
for me.

in those two lines.

Always try to understand what these options do before taking it to heart!

Well, I was just giving it a try.  Anyway, none of this
really solves my problem.  From your description I
don't want noauto, because I do want the ntfs partitions
mounted automatically.  However, this plainly isn't
happening for me, even now I removed noauto.

Anton