Re: [LUG] fstab and mounting ntfs partitions from debian...

On Sunday 23 January 2005 13:54, Anton Channing wrote:
On Sunday 23 January 2005 12:23, Julian Hall wrote:
Anton Channing wrote:
"fstab" E212: Can't open file for writing

Hi Anton,

Are you trying to edit it as a user or as root?  I've run into this if I
try to edit fstab as a user not root.

I could've sworn I was in a root terminal.  But I've
just gone in and tried again and it worked fine this
time.  So maybe I wasn't... :D

...if I wasn't I must have made the same mistake
several times, because I rebooted several times
before I eventually gave up and posted here. :/

Now to reboot and see if those changes work...

Nope they don't.  They don't even mount the windows
drives for the root user.  This is the current lines I've
been trying to use in my fstab file:

/dev/hda1       /mnt/win        nfs     ro,users,umask=022      0       2
/dev/hda5       /mnt/wind       nfs     ro,users,umask=022      0       2

Any suggestions?  I don't actually understand the umask=022
bit, just copied it from a website where someone said they
achieved what I'm attempting by replacing 'noauto' with
'umask=022' in those two lines. Is the 022 bit an octal permissions
thing?

Anton