Re: [LUG] Names and group learning

Neil Williams wrote:

<quite a lot, all of it eminently sensible and intelligent>

Thanks for the detailed response Neil. You raised a lot of points I hadn't considered, or perhaps had only considered from a newbie user point of view. You're right to say we all had to start somewhere, and I think after 7 years of supporting ISP newbies (nearly 16000 last time I checked my personal record ;)) possibly my thinking became blinkered as we mainly dealt with the ones who didn't have a clue. I was forgetting the (hopefully) majority of customers for whom it worked first time and they *did* as you point out, go on to learning more and becoming proficient users.

A lot of hard work goes into making something 'just work'!!!

Absolutely agreed! When I did A Level back in 1989, it took 2 years to put my programming project together, and even then the dratted thing had a bug in it (don't ask.. long story.. stupid mistake... blooming Pythagoras!). So I agree knowing from experience how much effort goes into "it just works" :)

I appreciate how much because I'm writing some of it, it is annoying to find that some don't realise how much hard work is needed before it will 'just work'.

Oh I do realise it and appreciate it! :)

Kind regards,

Julian