Re: [LUG] Meeting in Paignton

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:34:33 +0000
Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I understood Linux to be the kernel and GNU to be a set of
open source tools?  Or am I completely wrong on that?

Either way, I'm confused why it makes so much difference calling the LUG a
GLUG or LUG and why its so important?

Rob,

This is basically right, Linus' kernel powers the GNU tools and applications (until
HURD is released according to the faithful, when everything will become GNU).

My objection to the name GLUG is not that I object to RMS's stance on Gnu/Linux, but
that it is confusing to the non- Linux user who will probably know absolutely
nothing the reasons behind it. Linux they may know- Gnu/Linux they won't. It's a
pragmatic stance, not a philosophical one.

This month's Linux Format (or is it User?) has a comparative review of some dozen
distributions- if I was curious about Linux this would turn me off completely. It's
just so confusing to someone new to FOSS. Are all these Linux? If so, what is Linux?
How do I get the right one?

Throwing in Gnu/Linux to the mix just makes it worse. What's the difference between
Linux and Gnu/Linux? Is it like Red Hat or Mandrake? Who cares- I'll stick with
Windows!

I think it's important to note that without either component part we wouldn't have
our great systems, but I also feel it's important that what "Linux" is, as an OS, is
as open, clear and obvious to those unfamiliar with it. Call it Linux, and it's
clarity is on a par with Apple and M$. Call it Linux in some places and Gnu/Linux in
others will only lead to more confusion than exists already.

I also feel that many of those who argue for Gnu/Linux do so for reasons that are
not necessarily the best - there are many who roll their own systems, never install
anything they haven't compiled themselves, and appear to believe that Linux should
remain a geek preserve, in which of course, they feel completely at home. Others,
and I am one of them, would like to see Linux much more mainstream, because it is a
broad church and need exclude no-one. From the occasional and casual web browser to
the geekiest geek of all the geeks, Linux has the power to be what each of us wants
it to be.

We should be endevouring to make Linux open and accessable to all, and anything that
leads to confusion, uncertainty or doubt will hinder that.

My tuppence worth of rant!

Terence