Re: [LUG] how the hell do I read these attachments in outlook

perhaps I will actually go back to mozilla not thunderbird for a
while.

That would be illogical - I can't see any reason to use the Mozilla
Suite when Firefox & Thunderbird are far less bloated and contain more
features. Try backing up your appdata/mozilla thunderbird folder,
removing thunderbird, reinstalling it (you are using 1.0 Stable aren't
you ?!) and then copying the folder back again - this may sort the
problem although there is no logical reason for it to do so: but hey,
this is Windows right?

Ben