Re: [LUG] Recommended ADSL ISP's and ADSL routers.

Pete Hatton wrote:

Now I know this question gets asked often on here. Anyone got any good
recommended ADSL ISP's. My only requirement is no download cap limit. Static
IP is a bonus, but not essential.

Well ADSL wise, I use Eclipse. I'm on their Flex Home 2000 package at £40 a month. Its £58.75 for activation. They do cheaper deals from about £17 with no caps for 256k. Depending on the line quality you could possibly get a cheaper package say 1Mbit for £30 a month and flex up to 2Mbit for 4p an hour when you want. They also offer static IPs, either 1, 2 or 5 usable ones.

I was on the 1Mbit package and enjoyed a free months flexing although after the first month I upgraded to 2Mbit. There is also a 1 month contract on this compared to some other ISPs which can specify 3 or 12 months. I think you'll find that most of the better ISPs are 1 month contracts.

Might be worth checking www.adslguide.org.uk and their message boards for customer comments.

Router wise, I use a SpeedTouch 510, not tried VPN with it yet but it seems stable enough for me, and the place I work for use them for their broadband connections. I picked out a cheap Ebuyer router for a friend, was a Sitecom model at about £20 with 4 ports and USB which works fine in Windows, again not sure about VPN but it does allow port forwarding.

Rob