Re: [LUG] New Proud Debian Owner...

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:18:08 +0000, Grant Sewell wrote:
?On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 19:44:06 +0000
?Anton Channing wrote:

?Hi all,

?Success (more or less)!

?[snip]

?Back to the 'more or less' above. ?For some reason (and this
?happened on my brothers PC also), the maximum resolution I can
?find on debians desktop settings, is 800x600 @ 85MHz. ?
[snip]

?If some with more experience can point me in the right direction,
?I would like to attempt to work out, possibly from a tutorial,
?what to do to fix this...

?Anton

?Can you just remind us of your hardware? ?And possibly post your
?XF86Config-4 file?

?Cheers.

?Grant.

Grant

I have had similar problems. Sarge installs very neatly and easily but tailoring it
is making me pull my hair out. The monitor problem can be resolved on installation
by not allowing Sarge to manage the video set up and instead doing it yourself.

My problem is getting my keyboard and mouse working: its fine if I allow the default
but not if I want to start with a limited system and only add the software I want (I
am installing on an old computer - P111, 366Mhz, 384Mb Ram so I do not destroy my
working machine: I don't want KDE and gnome plus all their software, I want a
windows manager, firefox and openoffice for now, Mutt later - once I learn it and
have worked out how to network this machine with my existing).

Question: where is the XF86Config-4 file? and where can I learn how to amend it

Henry