Re: [LUG] Building a Debian Mirror?

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 18:25:51 +0000
Neil Williams wrote:

As I understand the GLUG mission, ANY installations of GNU/Linux anywhere
remotely within our area and quite a few beyond it, are to be encouraged and
assisted by the GLUG. There is no conflict - anything to do with installing
Debian on new system is well within the purposes of this group.

Just because it doesn't coincide with a GLUG meeting is irrelevant - if Matt
is willing to trust you with his hardware, then the mirror is still in the
hands of a GLUG member, operating to further the aims of the GLUG in a manner
that enhances and publicises the role of the GLUG to new groups of people.

It's Matt's decision, if he's happy, then by definition, the mirror is being
used for GLUG purposes.

This is a future plan, nothing concrete yet.  More than likely to be next semester,
which I believe is not until September (could be wrong).  I'm hoping for at least
one "hands on" session, but I'm holding out for more!  If I only get 1 session, then
I may have to revise this.

Basically my idea is as follows:

1 machine (mine), 1 NIC, 3 IP addresses:
+ eth0   in the 192/24 address range for my lappy to connect to (for
monitoring/maintenance should I have to - I'm not anticipating it;
+ eth0:1 in the 172/24 address range used for ftp serving of RedHat;
+ eth0:2 in the  10/24 address range used for ftp serving of Debian.

All the students are doing/have done CCNA so they will all have met the concept of
sub-interfaces... they should be happy with the idea of 1 NIC having 3 addresses by
now!

2 machines installing Debian: 1 mail server & 1 web server, both on  10/24 address
range with static addresses.
2 machines installing RedHat: 1 mail server & 1 web server, both on 172/24 address
range with static addresses.
After installation is complete, I intend on removing my machine from their networks.

If they have completed Semester 4 of the CCNA by then, then I may get them to setup
an enclosed WAN connection with 3 routers (I'm thinking something like a Frame Relay
circuit between their routers) to link the two networks together.  I will speak with
their principle Cisco tutors to see if we could work together on this - I'm pretty
sure that they should be doing enclosed WAN exercises as part of their CCNA4
practical assessments.  If they haven't completed Semester 4 then a plain ol' serial
connection will do, so long as they remove routing protocols.

I would like for them to install and configure some desktop machines as well.  I
hope 2 on each network: 1 Linux desktop machine, and just for "completeness" perhaps
1 Win2k/XP machine too.  I will probably go for Mandrake/SuSE for the desktops so
they get some experience of all sorts of installers, all sorts of distro profiles,
and understand that although they're by different groups/companies, they all still
function in pretty much identical ways.

As you can imagine, there's no way to get *all* of that done in a single 2 hour
session...  but the very first stage (installation/basic configuration) should be
doable in 2 hours.  With 4 machines to install, doing so over the LAN is not only a
lot faster than fart-arsing about with CDs, but also a lot faster than using a true
WAN connection (which might not be available anyway).

Sound like a plan to anyone?

Cheers.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.