Re: [LUG] Nearly a Linux User Again...

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 22:25:38 +0000
Simon Waters wrote:

Just most people end up at testing (or brave unstable) for desktops
these days it may be less pain to install sarge with the newer installer.

I second that.  I tried Debian on several occasions over the past few years.  Never
could I get what I wanted from the installer and I ended up with a complete shambles
of a system.  Far too many options for someone that doesn't really know what they
want.  The newer installer, however, is just as easy as "newbie" distro's
installers, but isn't GUIfied.

I would recommend a Sarge install.

BTW, I've been running unstable for a while now.  So long as you keep an eye on
what's being changed when you do a "apt-get dist-upgrade" (or the equivalent in a
gui package manager) then things seem really quite stable.  If you're not happy with
something, then don't do the upgrading just yet.  As an example, a couple of days
ago I noticed that KDE would be removed should I upgrade my system... so I deferred,
and now KDE isn't touched.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.