[LUG] Nearly a Linux User Again...

Posted by "Anton Channing" <achanning@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I subscribed to this list before with a different email address, back when I first
planned on relocating to Plymouth.  Well I'm here now, and eager to become a part of
this limux community.

However, there is a slight problem.  I do not currently have Linux on my PC! (Shock
horror!)

Basically, the story is, I built a new PC from scratch a little while ago when I had
some cash available to me.  And of course it was my hope that I could expand my use
of Linux (which I feel was quite limited on my old pc, and in fact I was never quite
happy with my installation there anyway).  Anyway, I left a sizable chunk of my new
HD for linux, but neither of the current distributions I have discs for (Mandrake
9.0 and SuSE 8.1) were able to install successfully.  In fact I can't even get the
install programs running past the first menu screen.

So anyway, what I always felt I needed to have was Debian.  I'm a software developer
by profession, and so I need a system I can get my teeth into.  I feel like I will
only really know linux when I can install debian, myself, unaided, and set it up to
meet my personal requirements. SuSE and Mandrake were too friendly, lulling me into
a GUI complacency and preventing me really learning Linux's strengths.

Yeah, so I go to the debian site, and I want to do everything properly.  You know,
downloading the disk images with jigdo (no cop out buying the disks for me...,
besides I'm broke at the minute :D )

Anyway, I want to learn all this stuff.  So I've got jigdo-lite for windows
downloaded, and I downloaded a whole load of .jigdo and .template files (I've opted
for woody for now, thinking its best for me, a new user, to use a stable distro.
Besides, if I remember correctly, debian allows you to download unstable components
if needed, even on a stable distro).

Well, I was going to write about a problem I was having, but I seem to have cracked
it.  It was as simple as jigdo-lite needing the .template files to be in the same
directory it was running from.  Didn't say that anywhere explicitly, I just tried it
and it seems to be working.

So I'm nearly a Linux User again.  I'll let you guys know if I get really stuck,
although I'm going to try and get through this passage of fire myself.  Wish me
luck! :D

Anton
--

Generated by the contributors page