Re: [LUG] Building a Debian Mirror?

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 13:52:51 +0000, Tony Atkin wrote:
?--- Grant Sewell <dclug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>?wrote:
?Hi all.

?There is a chance that I will be running a (series
?of) "hands on" Linux lab(s) for/with some degree
?students in the [nearish] future. ?It is my
?intention to setup a local Debian mirror (and
?probably a RedHat one too, for comparison sake) to
?make the installation phase as quick and easy as
?possible and to place as little strain on the WAN
?connection should we choose to implement one. ?I
?intend to only mirror x86 stable.

?However, I am unsure of how large this will need to
?be.

?I have never tried this myself but I would have
?thought that apt-proxy would be the tool of choice.
?Once you have built one Debian installation with
?apt-get pointed at the proxy machine, then nearly
?everything you need should be on the proxy.

?My guess might be that if you had 1Gb of space on the
?proxy then you should be perfectly safe. (but i'm open
?to being told that is a silly estimate)

?Tony

As a newbie I have been having wonderful fun (!) trying to get debian working and
came across the following site
http://www.debian.org/CD/mirroring/

As for size, I believe the base install is around 650 Mb. If you want to mirror all
the packages then I would have thought you would need nearer 10Gb

Henry Bremridge