Re: [LUG] Building a Debian Mirror?

--- Grant Sewell <dclug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all.

There is a chance that I will be running a (series
of) "hands on" Linux lab(s) for/with some degree
students in the [nearish] future.  It is my
intention to setup a local Debian mirror (and
probably a RedHat one too, for comparison sake) to
make the installation phase as quick and easy as
possible and to place as little strain on the WAN
connection should we choose to implement one.  I
intend to only mirror x86 stable.

However, I am unsure of how large this will need to
be.

I have never tried this myself but I would have
thought that apt-proxy would be the tool of choice.
Once you have built one Debian installation with
apt-get pointed at the proxy machine, then nearly
everything you need should be on the proxy.

My guess might be that if you had 1Gb of space on the
proxy then you should be perfectly safe. (but i'm open
to being told that is a silly estimate)

Tony