Re: [LUG] user mode linux

On Wednesday 05 January 2005 18:34, Paul Sutton wrote:
Has anyone got any experience with User mode Linux,  I have ths as an
option on my suse box if i install the uml kernel.  Now that I have
fixed windows 98 to see only the first 512 mb of 768mb (option in
msconfig / advanced),  I have more memory to play with.

As the kernel file name is different will this replace my current kernel
install or replace it and leave the other one there so I have a choice
(or can create one) on the boot menu,  I think i changed my boot loader
to lilo

Thanks for any help

Paul,
A UML kernel isn't used in the normal sense -ie you don't boot it from lilo
(or grub or whatever) when you start your machine.
I run a debian uml within my Gentoo machine and it works pretty well.
I followed the instructions on http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/uml.xml - well
sort of anyway.http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/uml.xml
The important things to remember are a) you need the usermode-utilities and b)
you need tuntap in your running kernel (either compiled in or a module) in
order to have networking capabilities in your uml. By running kernel I mean
the one that your boot your actual machine with.
A good place to start for using UML is http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/

HTH
Jon