Re: [LUG] Installing/Running Linux on an iMac?

Quoting Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 10:54 am, Rob Beard wrote:
I've had a quick look to see what distros are out there and two came up
as
possible choices - Mandrake 9.1, and also Yellow Dog Linux.

Debian also do a Mac installer - If she's not willing to pay for a MacOSX
licence. Do a google search for her specific Mac and Debian. There are guides

out there for my iBook but I admit I haven't looked for others.

AFAIK, there are still certain pieces of hardware that will work with OSX
that
won't work with Debian though. (IIRC it's the same with Mandrake and
YellowDog).

Not do-able over the phone though.

My friend isn't very computer literate, she also lives in Norwich so I
would be talking her through the installation of Linux on the phone.

Not easy at the best of times. Can you see if a local LUG would be able to
help her on your recommendation?

www.lug.org.uk

I just wondered if anyone is running Linux on a Mac and could give any
advice of any problems or any tips for installing it?

If you haven't installed it yourself, doing it over the phone is going to be
nightmare.

Unless you get exactly the same messages on screen, it could be an
exasperating phone call. Been there, done that. Could easily be the end of a

beautiful friendship.
:-(

I might ask her if she can hang on until I next go down to Norwich, I can
spend a day at hers trying to sort it out then.  I did have another thought,
trying to do an install remotely via ssh if this is possible.  Can't remember
which distro I saw it in which allows the user at the other end to enter a
couple of commands to boot up the installation, enable ssh and then it can be
installed remotely?  (Might be mistaken, I know I managed it with Gentoo, but
couldn't get the whole lot installed easily enough).

Rob