Re: [LUG] Mounting NTFS at boot in Fedora Core 3?

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 22:23:04 +0000
Rob Beard wrote:

Does anyone know how I can get the partitions to auto-mount at boot up
and be readable by users other than root?

Rob

You will need to add an entry into your /etc/fstab file for this to work nicely.
Basically, the NTFS module(s) in Linux are flagged as "experimental" and as such
carry a warning of potential damage being caused.  That said, if you mount the
partition(s) are read-only then there should not be a problem.  If you *need*
read-write access, then you can look into something called "Captive NTFS" (it uses a
crafty method of getting Windows' own ntfs drivers to do the hard work).

Your fstab entry would normally look like this:
/dev/hdXX /mnt/ntfs ntfs defaults 0 0

However, this will not allow all other users read rights.  You could do this:
/dev/hdXX /mnt/ntfs ntfs auto,ro,users,uid=501,umask=555 0 0

This will mount the partition as RO, owned by ther user 501 (often the uid of the
first "real" user) and set the bitmask of the files as 555 (octal for R-XR-XR-X).
Since I have not NTFS partitions I cannot check this, but, if you set the umask to
at least allow reading of files by all then you *should* be able to ignore the uid
setting.

Hope this helps.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.