Re: [LUG] Scanner sites?

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:33:21 +0000
Tom Brough wrote:

On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 00:00, Grant Sewell wrote:

Now, everywhere I look (including the SANE site) reckons that the Epson GT5k is
a parallel scanner......

Funny, I have one of these and although I only played with it very
briefly I'm sure I got it to work off a parallel port.

Tom.

I have one too!  Using all me deductive powers, I have discerned that it is
definitely a SCSI device.  On the back it has two connectors - 1 x DB25 and 1 x
Centronics 50 - both with "SCSI" stamped underneath them, it has a dial with the
numbers 0-7 and a * around it, it has a little switch with "SW ON/OFF" on it, it
responds to the SCSI reset commands on bootup when plugged in, and "cdrecord
-scanbus" reports it as thus:
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
scsibus0:
       0,0,0     0) *
       0,1,0     1) *
       0,2,0     2) *
       0,3,0     3) *
       0,4,0     4) 'EPSON   ' 'SCANNER GT-5000 ' '1.07' Processor
       0,5,0     5) *
       0,6,0     6) *
       0,7,0     7) *

I can find *nothing* about this particular device anywhere!  I can find plenty of
references of the Parallel version, but not a dicky bird of the SCSI variety.  Just
my luck!

I've been playing around with them both and I really can't decide which is better.
I quite like the Epson because it's quieter and faster.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.