Re: [LUG] hardware: server

On Friday 17 December 2004 14:51, Alasdair Cunningham-Smith wrote:
I know a man with a brand new (arrived last week) Dell PowerEdge 1800,
*Dual* Intel Xeons 3GHz (I think) with 1 Meg Cache each, 800MHx fsb, 512MB
RAM, Serial ATA 80GB, 3 year next business day support, needs to flog it
quick, yours for 500 notes.

You'll need another disk or two, but there's hardware serial ATA mirroring
built in.

Hold me down...

Too cheap, how could my health authority IT director hold his head up in
public if people thought we could run on that sort of price?

I might buy it personally as a desktop mind you, this Dell 500SC is getting a
bit behind the curve.

Seriously though, I have on my browser the Dell site, with a quote well in
excess of that for a 2800  with a SCSI RAID, 2 Xeons,3 GHz of RAM (I expect
the main database to reach 1.2 GByte by the midlife refit for the next
machine, and I'd like it all in RAM to work on, plus a KDE/Gnome session for
each user running OpenOffice and Mozilla and Solitaire.

I might be going over the curve for requirement, but we do know that decision
support stuff demands grunt and I'd like to commission some.

--
Adrian Midgley                   Open Source software is better
GP, Exeter                       http://www.defoam.net/