Re: [LUG] Fedora

I am running VMWare 4.5.2 under FC3 but read the release notes (as if you wouldn't!) as there are some changes that have to be made.

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 10:04 +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
Quoting Richard Brown <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi Guys
>
> Having obtained a new computer I now want to use it to backup files
> downloaded from the net (i.e. web pages) and also to backup OS X files.
> I am used to building RH 9.0 servers and that was what I was going to
> turn to.... but of course it is old and RH are no longer issuing
> updates. So is it worth going down the Fedora road and installing that?
> Is it very like RH in its use?
>
> Or is there a different distro worth using? My difficulty is that I
> would like to get this up and running quickly and not have to have to
> steep a learning curve. i.e. at this point I want to avoid Debian but
> there again, I might not!
>
> Any advice gladly accepted. Thanks.

My experience of Fedora was a positive one.  The interface seems to be the
same (although it is a while since I used RH9) and from what I can tell it
seems to be supported better than a couple of distros I have tried recently.

I'm going to have a play with Fedora later on this evening, I'm still trying
to get vmware working, I've tried Suse 9.1 (didn't work particually well),
CentOS 3.3 x86_64 version and I couldn't get the libraries, so I'm hoping
Fedora will do the job.

I think tho there are some more people in the group who have better experience
of it than I have.

Rob

Best Regards

Kelly Jones

Computer Consultant

Terrabyte Computing

www.terrabytecomputing.co.uk

support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

01363 772702

07714 408977

Federation of Small Businesses member
Legally privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee(s) legally indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message, and notify us immediately. If you or your employer does not consent to Internet e-mail messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed in this message are not given or endorsed by my firm or employer unless otherwise indicated by an authorised representative independent of this message. Please note that despite using the latest virus software, neither my employer nor I accept any responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan attachments (if any).