Re: [LUG] Yahoo Messenger on Mandrake 10

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:56:26 +0000
Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

1.  Figure out why Kopete is screwing up logging me into Yahoo.

Are you running the version that comes with Mandy 10 or have you upgraded at all?
If you're still running the Mandy 10 version, then I would suggest either getting
GAIM or, if you particularly like Kopete, I would recommend you uninstall your
current version, get *checkinstall* and compile your own Kopete from the latest
stable version.

FYI checkinstall is a fantastic little app that can create [rpm/deb/tgz] packages
when installing from source.
Instead of doing:
./configure
make
make install

You would do:
./configure
make
checkinstall

It asks some questions and then performs the "make install" step for you but creates
a package rather than just simply installing the files.  It then installs the
package.  This way it'll still appear in your list of installed RPM files.

2.  Find a version of YIM that works in Mandrake 10.

Yahoo!'s YIM for Linux client is horrible.  Unless you like pain, don't go there.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.