[LUG] Installing Operating Systems

Okay, I think we can all add to this, but this is how I would install the two operating systems in my life.

Debian GNU/Linux

I always go with 'testing' - I think stable is just too old for what I need. So, I download a testing netinstall ISO file, burn it on my Mac and reboot the Pentium machine with it.

Answer some simple questions, like which language, country and apt mirror to use. Let it do its thing. Generally, I install nothing during the installation at all, and then when I'm installed and I've got a bash prompt and I'm logged in as root...

apt-get install gnome gaim mozilla-firefox gnuchess xboard

I accept that I won't have a very good experience when surfing the web, as none of the media files I want to play, can play, but for looking up information, talking to other CNUK people and editing pages on sites - it works well enough. I don't listen to any music on it, I don't do anything I couldn't do on my Windows 95 PC back in 1996 actually, except use better browsers, etc.

Mac OS X

I have the 10.3 release of Mac OS X - this is not the version that came with my Mac, this is a copy I paid about 70 quid for last year. It comes on three CDs. To install it on my Mac, I can put the CD in when it's turned on and up and running, or just put the CD in at boot time and hold the C key.

Installation is pretty simple too:- Choose the language, choose the hard disk, add/remove any packages I don't think I'll need or want - Internet Explorer, Asian Language fonts, Lexmark Printer Drivers, etc.

It'll go off and do its thing, prompt me for the other disk when needed. 10 minutes or so later, I'll reboot and be shown a nice little welcome movie. Be asked for things like my name, address, email address and prompted to set up my email client.

A few seconds after arriving at my new desktop, 'Software Update' pops up and prompts me to install updates to my operating system. These will likely be things like Quicktime, Security Updates and updates to OS X itself (10.3.0 is on the CD. 10.3.6 is what we're up to now) - leave that for 20 minutes and I'm all set. I've got a browser, a photo album, a music library and the ability to edit movies. I've also got a very basic Word Processor, address book, and even emacs ;)

Conclusion

I don't think Debian is too far behind Mac OS X for a technical user to install, but for a non-tech - Debian is off putting. People want to use a mouse, people want familiar icons and shiny buttons to click on. That said, both Debian and OS X give me at least 50% of the software I'd like to use straight off, perhaps even 80% for OS X. Largely, the software that Debian gives me, with the exception of Firefox, is a little rough around the edges and lacks in usability.